To ease the emotional strain and burden of moving, be sure you make a checklist of things to do before you move. This list should contain the following:
- Get written estimates from at least two moving companies.
- Figure out if you want to do the packing if you want to hire experienced packers.
- Contact all of your insurers and other companies who bill you regularly to notify them of your move.
- Make sure that cash, jewelry, important documents, your checkbook and other valuable items are secure and placed with the suitcases and other items you are hand-carrying yourself.
- Look through every room of your house and decide what you want to keep and what you should get rid of.
- Get copies of all your medical and dental records.